Last Updated: September 24, 2015
XMPie® is pleased to announce the release of uDirect® & uMerge® version 7.5 build 8716.
This version provides new features and enhancements as described below.
uDirect & uMerge support the latest version of InDesign Desktop, released in June 2015 by Adobe. Note that uCreate XM does not support Adobe CC-2015.
Audience is a new exciting feature which enables you to break down your target audience into segments. Each segment represents a group of recipients to which you can apply rules.
This feature enables you to divide a broad target market into segments of, for example, consumers, professions, age groups, and locations, each having common needs, interests, and preferences. You can then design and implement a market strategy to target each segment, adjusting your offer to the attributes and parameters of each.
For example, you can plan a marketing strategy that targets singles and families, on the assumption that each segment requires a different marketing approach to achieve maximum results.
This version supports the following new barcodes:
● HIBC barcodes
PDF production workflow has been changed to a new, more efficient, native PDF creation, instead of distilling Postscript files.
All predefined tickets that were formally using the PDF production have been automatically migrated to use this new workflow.
In order to maintain backward compatibility, a new production workflow was added, named Legacy PDF, that uses the old distilling process to create PDF files.
To learn more about the capabilities and limitations of the new workflow, and justifications for using the Legacy PDF, please refer the uCreate Print User Guide.
uCreate Print supports the latest version of MAC operating system, released in October 2014 by Apple.
uMerge is a fully functional uDirect application, with limitations on the print output file. The print output file is in the Adobe PDF format. A single file is created per record.
uMerge is designated for the home and office use. While it addresses a wider market of InDesign users than uDirect, the fact that no VDP output can be exported makes a distinct differentiation between uDirect users (typically in a Variable Data Print environment) and uMerge users.
uDirect & uMerge support the latest version of InDesign Desktop, released in June 2014 by Adobe.
This is a maintenance release that solves several software issues.
uDirect 7.0.1 adds support for a new barcode - Royal Mail Mailmark® (called CMDM_Mailmak in the XMPie user interface). This is an instance of Data Matrix barcode specifically designed for the Royal Mail (UK) purposes. For input specifications for this barcode, refer to the following document: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-Mailmark-barcode-definition-document-May-2014-v3-1.pdf
uDirect supports 2-Dimensional (2D) Complex Mail Data Mark (CMDM) barcode of the following types: 2D CMDM type 7, 2D CMDM type 9, 2D CMDM type 29 .
● For type 7 use an additional parameter - Size=24x24
● For type 9 use an additional parameter - Size=32x32
● For type 29 use an additional parameter - Size=16x48
uCreate Print now works in a true client-server mode with your uProduce server, providing you with an easy and convenient way to add, modify, and run production jobs using the familiar desktop application on your local computer. After connecting uCreate Print to the uProduce server, you can design your Documents directly on your desktop while storing the content on uProduce and leveraging the print production power of the uProduce server. Thus, uProduce acts as a central storage and production repository. This integrated environment allows to:
● Relieve the user of document management responsibilities
● Automate resource management (Documents, Assets, Fonts, Data sources)
● Optimize production workflow
● Ease correction cycles and edits
Working in a connectivity mode you can do the following:
● Save a Document to uProduce
Start designing your Document in uCreate Print and then save it on uProduce. From that moment on, the Document is stored on uProduce but you may continue editing it in uCreate Print.
● Open a Document from uProduce
Open Documents already stored on uProduce server and edit them in uCreate Print. Easily modify the Document, while it is stored on the server. All Assets, Data Sources, Fonts, and other Campaign materials are pulled from the server in real time.
● Work with uImage files
uImage Assets run on your server. You can use uImage even if your designer does not have uImage installed on his/her computer. It is now easier to move a uImage template to the server and use uImage packages bought on the XMPie’s market place (https://marketplace.xmpie.com)
● uImage files are treated as all other image assets
● No need for manual management by the user
● Automatically processed on uProduce server
● Leverage Campaign Resources stored on uProduce
Use and edit Data Sources, Assets, Fonts and images located on the uProduce server.
● Print a Document on uProduce
Run Dynamic Print using uProduce directly from the designer’s desktop. Composition is done on the server, while the designer can keep working.
The connectivity between uCreate Print and uProduce requires new license. You are entitled to one or more connectivity licenses based on your current license. More connectivity licenses are available at an additional cost.
Only the new XLIM documents (*.INDX, see XLIM Enhancements below) are supported by the connectivity feature. To work with the old XLIM format, import a CPKG and save it to the uProduce server as the new XLIM format using the Save to uProduce functionality.
Version 7 presents a new revolutionary approach in handling XLIM documents.
1. XLIM Preflight now checks more text, paragraph and image attributes. Over 50 additional checks have been added.
2. XLIM Preflight has been completely revised to focus only on items that require user attention. The Errors panel displays only errors found in the dynamic objects of the Document (or static objects that interact with dynamic objects).
3. All static elements are converted to EPS images to ensure accurate rendering of the original design and to avoid XLIM compatibility errors. EPS is a vector-based format that ensures high quality output.
4. A XLIM file is now saved with the *.INDX extension (instead of *.XLIM) and can be edited and re-edited using Adobe InDesign with uCreate Print, as needed. Conversions back and forward are done behind-the-scenes to ensure a seamless user experience. Although all the Document's static elements are converted to images for the purpose of production, they remain editable in InDesign.
5. XLIM functionality has also been enhanced to support Underline and Strikethrough.
uEdit Documents require special attention. Please refer to the uStore Help ("Preparing a XLIM Document for uEdit HD" topic) for more details.
You can now edit the Campaign's Plan using the uCreate Print's Rule Editor, with no need to open uPlan.
In addition, adding and editing Variables is now possible directly from uCreate Print. You can easily define new Variables or convert existing Content Objects to Variables. When converting a Content Object to a Variable, a Variable with the name and the definitions of the Content Object is created, whereas the converted Content Object references the newly created Variable.
When working in a connectivity mode between uCreate Print and uProduce, the Plan edited in uCreate Print is automatically updated on uProduce. To disable editing of a Plan, simply check out the plan in the uProduce Dashboard.