Last Updated: December 08,2014
XMPie® is pleased to announce the release of uDirect® & uMerge® version 7.1 build 7990.
This version provides the new features and enhancements described below:
uMerge is a fully functional uDirect application, with limitations on the print output file. The print output file is in the Adobe PDF format. A single file is created per record.
uMerge is designated for the home and office use. While it addresses a wider market of InDesign users than uDirect, the fact that no VDP output can be exported makes a distinct differentiation between uDirect users (typically in a Variable Data Print environment) and uMerge users.
Support for Adobe CC-2014
uDirect & uMerge support the latest version of InDesign Desktop, released in June 2014 by Adobe.
This is a maintenance release that solves several software issues.
Support for the Royal Mail Mailmark® barcode
uDirect 7.0.1 adds support for a new barcode - Royal Mail Mailmark® (called CMDM_Mailmak in the XMPie user interface). This is an instance of Data Matrix barcode specifically designed for the Royal Mail (UK) purposes. For input specifications for this barcode, refer to the following document: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-Mailmark-barcode-definition-document-May-2014-v3-1.pdf
uDirect supports 2-Dimensional (2D) Complex Mail Data Mark (CMDM) barcode of types 7 (24 x 24), 9 (32 x 32) and 29 (16 x 48).
uCreate - uProduce Connectivity
uCreate Print now works in a true client-server mode with your uProduce server, providing you with an easy and convenient way to add, modify, and run production jobs using the familiar desktop application on your local computer. After connecting uCreate Print to the uProduce server, you can design your Documents directly on your desktop while storing the content on uProduce and leveraging the print production power of the uProduce server. Thus, uProduce acts as a central storage and production repository. This integrated environment allows to:
● Relieve the user of document management responsibilities
● Automate resource management (Documents, Assets, Fonts, Data sources)
● Optimize production workflow
● Ease correction cycles and edits
Working in a connectivity mode you can do the following:
● Save a Document to uProduce
Start designing your Document in uCreate Print and then save it on uProduce. From that moment on, the Document is stored on uProduce but you may continue editing it in uCreate Print.
● Open a Document from uProduce
Open Documents already stored on uProduce server and edit them in uCreate Print. Easily modify the Document, while it is stored on the server. All Assets, Data Sources, Fonts, and other Campaign materials are pulled from the server in real time.
● Work with uImage files
uImage Assets run on your server. You can use uImage even if your designer does not have uImage installed on his/her computer. It is now easier to move a uImage template to the server and use uImage packages bought on the XMPie’s market place (https://marketplace.xmpie.com)
● uImage files are treated as all other image assets
● No need for manual management by the user
● Automatically processed on uProduce server
● Leverage Campaign Resources stored on uProduce
Use and edit Data Sources, Assets, Fonts and images located on the uProduce server.
● Print a Document on uProduce
Run Dynamic Print using uProduce directly from the designer’s desktop. Composition is done on the server, while the designer can keep working.
The connectivity between uCreate Print and uProduce requires new license. You are entitled to one or more connectivity licenses based on your current license. More connectivity licenses are available at an additional cost.
Only the new XLIM documents (*.INDX, see XLIM Enhancements below) are supported by the connectivity feature. To work with the old XLIM format, import a CPKG and save it to the uProduce server as the new XLIM format using the Save to uProduce functionality.
Version 7 presents a new revolutionary approach in handling XLIM documents.
1. XLIM Preflight now checks more text, paragraph and image attributes. Over 50 additional checks have been added.
2. XLIM Preflight has been completely revised to focus only on items that require user attention. The Errors panel displays only errors found in the dynamic objects of the Document (or static objects that interact with dynamic objects).
3. All static elements are converted to EPS images to ensure accurate rendering of the original design and to avoid XLIM compatibility errors. EPS is a vector-based format that ensures high quality output.
4. A XLIM file is now saved with the *.INDX extension (instead of *.XLIM) and can be edited and re-edited using Adobe InDesign with uCreate Print, as needed. Conversions back and forward are done behind-the-scenes to ensure a seamless user experience. Although all the Document's static elements are converted to images for the purpose of production, they remain editable in InDesign.
5. XLIM functionality has also been enhanced to support Underline and Strikethrough.
uEdit Documents require special attention. Please refer to the uStore Help ("Preparing a XLIM Document for uEdit HD" topic) for more details.
Editing Plan in uCreate Print Rule Editor
You can now edit the Campaign's Plan using the uCreate Print's Rule Editor, with no need to open uPlan.
In addition, adding and editing Variables is now possible directly from uCreate Print. You can easily define new Variables or convert existing Content Objects to Variables. When converting a Content Object to a Variable, a Variable with the name and the definitions of the Content Object is created, whereas the converted Content Object references the newly created Variable.
When working in a connectivity mode between uCreate Print and uProduce, the Plan edited in uCreate Print is automatically updated on uProduce. To disable editing of a Plan, simply check out the plan in the uProduce Dashboard.